The Specimen Processor works as part of the healthcare team to process specimens in a high-volume setting.
The primary work hours will be 12pm to 8pm M-F. Occasional mornings, 7am – 430pm.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Receive specimens from outside clinics as the courier drop-off.
- Ensure correct data entry as each specimen is received into the Harvest LIS
- Check for proper name, accession number, clinic ID and correct samples.
- Verify reference lab interface
- Prepare all send out specimens for pick to reference lab and ensure proper handling of specimens according to in-house or reference laboratory protocols
- Ensure that all specimens to be sent to reference lab have the proper test(s) ordered, the correct ACESSION NUMBER and correct specimen.
- Work carefully, not handling too many specimens at one time
- Sort all in-house labs to various departments, placing specimens in appropriate racks; chemistry, hematology, immunoassays, urines to the urine bench, etc.
- QC requisitions and Quest log
- Fax all CC reports
- Check fax logs
- Discard specimens after 7 days
- Clean processing areas at the end of the evening
- Follow laboratory processing procedures at all times
- Follow OSHA requirements at all times
- Restock area
- Check eyewash station and fire extinguishers monthly
- Notify lab manager of any issues with orders and or specimens.
- High School Diploma required.
- Attention to detail
- Reliable and dependable
- Good organization
- Data entry experience a plus
- Basic computer knowledge needed