This full time medical secretary position is in a busy 6 provider office working for 1 provider and 1 NP in Marlborough. Candidates must speak English and be able to speak Spanish and Portuguese. Candidate must have strong communication skills, experience in the medical field preferred. EPIC knowledge a plus.
Hours: M-Fr 8:00 – 4:30 – flexibility a plus
- CRMA has many open positions for Medical Secretary. We have 20+ locations in 10 Metrowest towns. Check our website, charlesrivermed.com for details. Both part-time and full-time.
- Applicants will be evaluated for all open positions.
Medical secretaries are responsible for patient reception, scheduling, telephone triage, and general business office functions.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Managing telephone calls is the most important task. Secretaries are expected to handle multiple lines at the same time, triage calls appropriately, and “own” needed followup actions. At least 70% of calls should be resolved by the secretary without need to hand off to another staff member.
- Check-in is the 2nd most important task. Provide patients with a welcoming, professional, flexible demeanor. Ensure key tasks such as eligibility checking, referral management, copay collection, registration updates, and communication with other staff consistently follow CRMA and office protocols.
- Be comfortable in a multi-tasking, fast-paced environment where your priorities will constantly shift throughout the day.
- Handle “demanding” patients and physicians with a smile and willingness to substitute your own needs to their needs, even if it makes your job harder.
- Understand common medical terminology and workflows.
- Process requests for referrals and prescription refills requests, online, phone, and in-person.
- Responsible for appointment scheduling, patient registration/discharge and making referral/ancillary appointments.
- Collects appropriate copays, deductibles and other related payments that are due at time of service.
- Prepares daily deposit and adheres to established cash control policies and procedures as directed.
- Answers patients questions regarding insurance and provides explanation of charges when appropriate.
- Supports and assists all physicians and clinical staff with patient flow.
- Using online and paper lookup tools, transcribes narrative diagnostic codes (ex. “Diabetes”) to ICD10 codes (ex. E11.9) for MD billable encounters.
- Proficiently processes referrals and prior authorizations. Understand how referral requirements vary by insurance plan.
- Coordinates mail processing for office to include receipt of record releases, copying of records, mailing out records and responding to other general office requests via mail.
- Manages physician schedule by following up on patient no-shows, sending reminder cards and/or providing telephone reminders for physical exams.
- Maintains and orders office supplies.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Office Manager
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities:
An individual with secretarial experience, preferably in a physician office setting.
Experience managing multi-line telephone systems, typing skills (50wpm), experience with computer systems, medical terminology, understanding of different insurance plans, proficiency in coordinating significant volume of referrals, flexibility, customer service orientation, positive attitude, good learning aptitude, ability to work well with customers and coworkers.