This position requires experience working as a medical secretary, medical assistant, or office manager in a physician office or hospital.
The Office Manager directs, plans, and coordinates the work of office staff and manages the daily operations of a physician office with 3 or more full-time providers. In addition to supervisory functions, may perform one of these roles in the office on a daily basis: (1) Medical Secretary; (2) Medical Assistant; or (3) Phlebotomist.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervises the daily operation of the offices, including helping staff establish deadlines for work assignment and completion, and monitoring work status and progress. Re-allocates staff resources as appropriate based on daily physician schedules, time-off, and capacity. Fosters teamwork between staff and physicians.
- Actively participates in the daily operation of the offices in one or more of these functions as appropriate with skills and training: (1) Medical Secretary; (2) Medical Assistant; or (3) Phlebotomist. Provides assistance to office staff members in order to ensure the office runs orderly for the physicians and patients.
- Responsible for managing personnel related activities including, scheduling hours, accurate timekeeping, attendance, time off requests, leave of absences, employee relations issues, performance evaluations and overtime management.
- Manages office level billing procedures, patient registration, diagnosis coding, applicable collection of co-payment and outstanding balances from patients while ensuring full compliance with established cash control policies and procedures. Monitors various billing functions.
- Oversees and maintains the practice’s appointment scheduling system including assisting in determining “bookable” time.
- Compiles management reports and responsible for execution of and monitoring practice-wide initiatives in the office.
- Develops enhanced workflow mechanisms and procedures to increase office efficiency and assists staff in understanding and implementing organizational policies and procedures. Responsible for standardizing processes and procedures when appropriate.
- Functions as the liaison between physicians, CRMA administration, human resources, billing, credentialing, IS, accounts payable, and other areas for the office.
- Assists in the recruiting, hiring and training and development of staff.
- Works with ancillary services and/or renters which reside in the office space, as applicable, to ensure seamless customer service to our patients and help services work efficiently.
- Responsible for managing expenses, purchasing, and completing and submitting month end financial statements if necessary.
- Ensures that patients are treated courteously by office staff and that other visitors are screened and properly directed. Promotes a customer service orientation among staff members.
- Maintains the physical property and equipment of the office including arranging for routine and emergency maintenance with landlord and outside vendors.
- Manages physician call and coverage schedules.
- Ensures office is in compliance with regulatory requirements including: safety, OSHA, HIPAA, employment and labor laws, state and federal guidelines.
- Ensures that requests for information are handled promptly and effectively.
- Manages expenses, maintain office supply inventory, monitor accounts payable activity to ensure adherence to proper fiscal controls.
- Ensures mail is opened and processed, offices are opened and closed according to procedures.
- Actively participates in patient complaint procedures.
- Identifies, analyzes and resolves work problems.
- Assists staff in maintaining ongoing quality assurance program.
- Attends office manager meetings and disseminates information to staff.
- Follows patient identification protocol, maintains confidentiality, and upholds compliance standards according to policy.
- Other duties as assigned from time to time.
- Management training or coursework preferred.
- 5 years of previous medical office experience required.
- Previous management or leadership experience strongly preferred.
Skills and Abilities Required:
- Excellent computer skills including MS Office and electronic medical records.
- Must have demonstrated experience working with medical insurance, in particular requirements for referrals and prior authorizations. Working knowledge of ICD10 diagnostic codes and CPT codes.
- Ability to understand and interpret policies and regulations.
- Skills in planning, organizing, delegating and supervising.
- Skill in verbal and written communication.
- Flexible, customer service orientated, positive attitude.
- Ability to work effectively with staff, patients, public and external agencies.
- Strong customer service, telephone, and etiquette skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly and confidentially. Stays abreast of regulatory and industry changes in healthcare.
Direct supervisor for all office staff.
Responsible for procuring supplies that are cost efficient, maintaining labor costs and minimizing overtime usage, and following other budgetary items. Responsible for cash collection process at the office.
CRMA Physician practice offices
The needs of CRMA and its patients require that positions have flexibility. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of the job incumbents. Employees are required to follow any supervisory instructions and to perform other duties as requested by their supervisor and/or other management personnel from time to time