This full-time Medical Secretary position is in a 1 MD, 1 NP Internal Medicine office in Southborough. Prior medical office experience required. Must have strong computer skills.
Bilingual and EPIC knowledge a plus
Hours M-F 8:00-4:30 p.m.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Managing telephone calls is the most important task. Secretaries are expected to handle multiple lines at the same time, triage calls appropriately, and “own” needed followup actions. At least 70% of calls should be resolved by the secretary without need to hand off to another staff member.
- Check-in is the 2nd most important task. Provide patients with a welcoming, professional, flexible demeanor. Ensure key tasks such as eligibility checking, referral management, copay collection, registration updates, and communication with other staff consistently follow CRMA and office protocols.
- Be comfortable in a multi-tasking, fast-paced environment where your priorities will constantly shift throughout the day.
- Handle “demanding” patients and physicians with a smile and willingness to substitute your own needs to their needs, even if it makes your job harder.
- Understand common medical terminology and workflows.
- Process requests for referrals and prescription refills requests, online, phone, and in-person.
- Responsible for appointment scheduling, patient registration/discharge and making referral/ancillary appointments.
- Collects appropriate copays, deductibles and other related payments that are due at time of service.
- Prepares daily deposit and adheres to established cash control policies and procedures as directed.
- Answers patients questions regarding insurance and provides explanation of charges when appropriate.
- Supports and assists all physicians and clinical staff with patient flow.
- Using online and paper lookup tools, transcribes narrative diagnostic codes (ex. “Diabetes”) to ICD10 codes (ex. E11.9) for MD billable encounters.
- Proficiently processes referrals and prior authorizations. Understand how referral requirements vary by insurance plan.
- Coordinates mail processing for office to include receipt of record releases, copying of records, mailing out records and responding to other general office requests via mail.
- Manages physician schedule by following up on patient no-shows, sending reminder cards and/or providing telephone reminders for physical exams.
- Maintains and orders office supplies.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Office Manager
Benefits Package Highlights
1. Health Insurance: 90% of premium paid by CRMA for fulltime staff, prorated for part-time.
2. 10 paid holidays/yr. 17 vacation/sick days/yr in addition. Prorated for part-time.
3. Dental, Vision, and Life available.
4. 401k 4% contribution by CRMA
5. FSA/HSA available
Job Type: Full-time